Thursday 12 July 2012

Mr Ng's Birthday Dinner At est.

Another year older for Mr Ng. And being the good husband that he is, he didn't complain when I decided I wanted to try est. to celebrate the occasion even though I know he prefers casual to fancy restaurants (yes, he spoils me..) But it was a brilliant choice even if I do say so myself ;)


This was our very first time here and everything from the atmosphere to the service to the food was really good. A seven course tasting menu is offered as well as an a la carte menu but we went for the four course chefs menu:


Est (1)
Mr Ng's sashimi of ocean trout, cucumber, pomelo, salad burnette, verjus jelly


Est.2
my salad of spanner crab, jicama, lime, apple jelly, elderflower ajo blanco


Est.3
my grilled white scallops


Est.4


Mr Ng's steamed murray cod fillet


Est.5


Mr Ng's duck breast


Est.6
my John Dory special (just a little too overdone for my liking, but tasty nevertheless)


Est.7
my passionfruit souffle, omg best dessert EVER - and big as well (no babe, that's not what she said)


Est.8
Mr Ng's valrhona chocolate delice


Est.9


Forgot to take a picture of it but I thought it was a nice touch how just after we were seated the sommelier came around to ask us if we wanted to start with a glass of champagne, so we chose the Veuve Clicquot Rose Vintage 2004 - first time we've tried this and it is so much nicer than the Brut.


Just finally, one of the waiters was telling us a new Merivale Chinese restaurant will be opening in the old Tank nightclub location in three weeks. Aptly named Mr Wong, it sounds as if the restaurant will be offering a fine-dining type of yum cha and authentic Cantonese cuisine (not fusion yay!). And according to Short black it looks like there will be no shortage of talent in the kitchen with Eric Koh of Hakkasan fame being the most recent chef to sign on. This place is definitely going to be one to try.





 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment